He came from a family of priest. In 1877-1887 studied in Kyiv School under the curatorship of F.Tereshchenko, in 1887-1891 in Kyiv Univerity under V.Antonovych, A.Prakhov, got his diploma in Odessa. From 1885 started his archaeological activities. In 1890 discovered Kniazha Hora (Prince’s Hill) close to Pekari village near Kaniv. From 1888 he is an employee and later on – member of editorial office of “Kievskaia Starina (Kyiv Antiquity)”. In 1892 he is a liberal student of Natural Studies Department of Moscow University, was chosen a member of Moscow University Natural Studies, Anthropology and Ethnology Society, corresponding member of Numismatic Society, before that – the member of Moscow Archaeological Society. In 1894-1897 worked in Warsaw, where he met Fedir Shteingel, famous owner of Horodetskiy Museum in Volyn Region, and it was his chance to try working in museum area. From 1897 he had worked in Kyiv on position of Polytechnic Institute’s librarian. At the same time he joined Antiquity and Art Society; from 1899 he is a member of the Board. In 1900 he prepared and published Kyiv City Museum of Antiquity and Art Society’s programme, from 1902 to 1923 he becomes director of the museum. In 1906 he was elected to the member of State Council. From 1913 he is an inspector of Kyiv art and industrial schools. During the I World War he is the Russian Academy of Science’s Cultural Heritage Protection Representative, he is detached to the army in Bukovyna. In 1917 the Interim Government of Russia appoints him to a position of Cultural Heritage Protection Commissar in Kyiv. In 1917 he is a deputy of Tsentralna Rada (Central Council). From 1917 he is an active member of All-Ukrainian Archaeological Committee. In 1919-1923 he is Deputry Head of Sofia Committee. In 1920-1921 – the Head of Antiquity and Art Heritage Protection Committee in Ukraine. In 1987 M.Biliashivskiy’s Statue (by sculptor A.Kushch) is fixed up in the yard of the National Art Museum of Ukraine. His works are the following: “Monetary treasures in Kyiv Hubernia” (1889), “Catalogue of Ukrainian antiquities in V.V.Tarnovskiy’s collection” (1898), “Exhibition “The Folk Art of Bykovyna and Halychyna” (1917). Edited “Archaeological Chronicles of Southern Russia” book of collected works and a magazine later on (1903-1905). A lot of his attention was drawn up to the artistic heritage of T.Shevchenko, researches and organized exhibitions of art goods. Literature: Kilievych S.R. Academician M.F. Biliashivskiy – The First Director of the National History Museum of Ukraine // Museum at the turn of ages: Past, nowadays, perspective. – К.: 1999. – P.19-21.
© Національний Художній Музей України, 1995-2014
Всі права захищені.
Розробка сайту: Cтудіо7